My brother Ken considers himself a microwave chef. He can bake pastries with just the use of our trusty microwave and can do it in minutes! That’s why I so miss him being around. He’s currently in Singapore, trying his luck there. I miss his out-of-the-blue cooking or baking trips.
Everyone in my family loves to cook, even my dad, who usually cooks with wine, rhum or brandy :D. We’re not experts, but we do make really tasty dishes. Try staying at our home for about a month. Let’s see how many pounds you need to lose afterwards. 😀
Anyway, we’ve got mangoes at home right now and I wanted to try making my own Mango Brown Betty. It’s a very simple recipe that my brother shared with me years ago. Trust me, you’re going to enjoy making this. And, probably you can even make this now because the ingredients are readily or usually available in most kitchens.
Pardon the poor quality of photos. These were taken back in 2009, when I didn’t know better. 😀 I shared some of the things I learned about food photography on my geek blog.
Mango Brown Betty Recipe
- 3 cups of mango slices (long cuts)
- 4 cups of bread crumbs (read step #1 to make your own)
- 1/2 cup of butter or margarine
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Make your own bread crumbs.
- To make homemade bread crumbs, bake some bread (e.g., leftover pan de sal or sliced bread) in a microwave oven at high for 4 minutes or until they harden.
- Use a blender or food processor to crush the bread into your desired texture for the bread crumbs you’d want to use. Make sure you have at least 4 cups of crumbs.
- Combine the 4 cups of breadcrumbs with butter.
- Now, we’ll use this mixture and the mango slices and layer them up to 4 layers (or if you want more or less, it’s up to you). First layer should be the breadcrumb mixture. Press it to make sure it’s flat or evenly layered on a pan or bowl.
- Add the mango slices on top.
- In another bowl, combine brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon powder.
- Sprinkle the sugar mixture on top of the first layer of mango and bread crumbs.
- Add another layer of breadcrumbs, then mango slices.
- Repeat steps # 6 and 7 until you got about 3 to 4 layers. Make sure you have enough for the top layer that should be just breadcrumbs with no mango slices, as pictured below. Just sprinkle the remaining sugar mixture on top.
- Bake in a microwave oven at HIGH for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool. Enjoy!
Very quick and easy, right?! I super loved it and that’s why I’m really craving now. Will try to make this tonight. 😛
Latest posts by Michelle Ignacio (see all)
- Julie’s Biscuits – Baked With Love, From Malaysia to the Philippines - October 23, 2016
- Club Paradise Resort – A Piece of Paradise in Coron, Palawan - March 27, 2016
- Chicken Curry with Carnation Evap : A Creamy New Tradition - December 31, 2015